consultant sourcing and project management
EUROPEAN UNION ELECTION EXPERT MISSION (EU EEM) THE PEOPLE’S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ALGERIA
|Experts||E1||One Team Leader – Electoral Expert (Cat. Senior)|
|E2||One Legal Expert (Cat. Senior)|
|Commencement||27 March 2014 – 7 May 2014|
|E1||42.00 working days|
|E2||42.00 working days|
|Language skills||Excellent written and spoken English and French. Knowledge of Arabic will be an advantage|
|Deadline||16/03/2014 12:00:00Recruitment starts immediately upon publication of this vacancy announcement; posts may be filled already before the indicated application deadline.|
|ToRs are available only for shortlisted experts|
Please note that we will respond only to candidates who meet the requirements of positions
|Only short listed consultants will be replied to.
If you wish to submit your candidature, please send us:
1 – Your up dated and position-adjusted CV in EU AID format, in the language of vacancy and as word.doc detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments. CVs in other format than EU format will not be evaluated.
2 – The country, no of position/field (s) you will apply for in the subject line of message
3 – Your daily/monthly fee (EUR) without the living allowances.
4 – Your communication details (Mobil, phone, etc.)
Suggestions: Please make sure, that the experience requested is also shown “Description” section 14 of your CV. As the selections are very strict and paper based, we request you to prepare your CV in the right format and detail all the relevant experience under the Professional experience table as much as possible. There is no problem if your CV is long, the most important is to prepare so that it describes clearly your experiences relevant to the mission. (Your CV has to sell you!)
Restrictions: In case consultants are short listed, they must be able to provide documentary evidence for educational and professional items in their CVs (copies of diplomas, copies of employers’ reference letters, etc.). Documents those are not available in English have to be accompanied by a faithful translation. This is mandatory requirement for Europe Aid tenders.
|The overall objective of this assignment is to contribute to support democracy, institution building and transparency in Algeria in the context of the country’s Presidential Election currently scheduled for 17 April 2014.
The specific objective of the assignment is to provide reporting to the European External Action Service (EEAS) on the ongoing electoral process during and after the elections. The experts will also provide the EEAS with an analysis relating to recommendations with a view to further aligning all elements of the electoral process to international standards, in line with the criteria contained in the Commission Communication on Electoral Assistance and Observation [COM(2000)191]. Elements of this report may eventually be shared with Electoral Authorities and the Government of Algeria.
IV. EXPERT PROFILES
For this mission the following experts with complementary profiles are required:
• One Team Leader – Electoral Expert (Cat. Senior) for 42 working days
• One Legal Expert (Cat. Senior) for 42 working days
Qualifications and Skills
– Advanced University degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, or any other discipline relevant to the assignment.
General Professional Experience
– At least 10 years of experience in the area related to this assignment.
Specific Professional Experience
– At least 5 years work experience in the field of electoral assistance and electoral observation and analysis, preferably as part of an EU Election Observation Mission or an Election Technical Assistance project of the EU or of other international organisations, possibly including managing an electoral observation mission, drafting statements and reports;
– Familiarity with the legal and regulatory framework for the elections as well as international and regional standards for elections. In this context the “Compendium of International Standards for Elections” is an important background document1 ;
– Proven work experience on electoral legislation and good understanding of election dispute resolution systems;
– Excellent understanding of the functioning of election management bodies;
– Experience in assessing the media landscape and media framework, according to international and regional standards, particularly as regards to elections, will be an asset;
– Previous experience in the country and/or the region and good networks within the different sectors of society in order to be immediately operational will be an asset.
– Excellent written and spoken English and French.
– Reporting will be done in English and/or French.
– Knowledge of Arabic will serve as an advantage.
In addition, the Team Leader will present the following profile:
– Excellent communication and inter-personal skills;
– Excellent report drafting skills;
– Coordination and management skills and past experience of management in a similar assignment, preferably as Deputy Chief Observer in an Election Observation Mission or as Chief Technical Adviser in a technical assistance project;
– Proven knowledge and field experience of EU policies and programmes in the area of human rights, democratization and good governance;
– Proven work experience in project implementation and budget management of international civilian missions, preferably as part of an EU Election Observation Mission or an EU Election Expert Mission project will be an asset.;
– Proven work experience of contractual and budgetary procedures of EC external action and related mechanisms will be an asset.
V. LOCATION AND DURATION
Provisional starting date: 27 March 2014.
Provisional finishing date: 7 May 2014.
Total duration of assignment: 42 working days including briefing and debriefing sessions in Brussels, deployment in Algeria, and report writing at place of residence. The dates of the assignment are subject to possible changes. Exact dates will be confirmed by the EU Service at the beginning of the project.
Experts’ availability should take into consideration the possible postponement of the project commencement’s date. The number of working days in the country shall be calculated on an average of 7 working days a week.
Location(s) of assignment: Algiers with possible field visits.